Preventive Dentistry Protects Your Smile
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry involves establishing habits that will keep your teeth healthy and help you avoid cavities, gum disease, enamel wear, and more. During your regular dentist visit at Watkin Dental Associates, your dental hygienist will point out any issues that you may be having with your oral hygiene. Your hygienist will perform a cleaning, dental exam, an oral cancer exam, and take any necessary X-rays.
We will also evaluate the appearance of your teeth and recommend any aesthetic procedures that will enhance your smile, such as cosmetic or orthodontic procedures. Since we began serving patients in Fitchburg, MA as well as the surrounding areas, our goal has been a whole-body health approach.
What You Can Do to Prevent Tooth Decay
Establishing at-home oral hygiene habits is essential to keeping your teeth healthy. Brushing twice a day for at least two minutes and flossing after eating will help to remove plaque and decay. Plaque is difficult to remove and the best at-home habits may not be enough to keep it a bay. This is why it is so important to schedule regular dental visits and allow our trained staff of oral hygienists to catch any problems that may be lurking before they become serious.
How Can Watkin Dental Associates Help?
Here at Watkin Dental Associates, we provide a wide array of preventive care services to help you keep your smile healthy so that a dental problem doesn’t have the chance to develop. Here are some of the services that our dentists provide to our value patients in and around Fitchburg:
- Dental Sealants: Dental sealants are an effective preventive measure against cavities and tooth decay that we offer here at Watkin Dental Associates. They coat the small indentations in your teeth, forming a protective layer against plaque and decay.
- Fluoride Treatments: We know that cavity prevention is a continuous quest. Fortunately, there are many tools we use here at Watkin Dental Associates to help fight tooth decay, including topical fluoride treatments.
- Sports Mouthguards: Most contact sports require athletes to wear mouthguards. However, once you begin orthodontic treatment, your old mouthguard may not fit properly. Properly fitted mouthguards help protect an athlete’s teeth as well as their teammates on the field.
- Custom Sports Mouthguards: All forms of physical activity pose risks, but contact sports are among the most hazardous. For that reason, mouthguards are a necessary piece of athletic equipment. They will protect against broken teeth, cut lips, and various other injuries to your jaw and mouth.
- Oral Cancer Screening: We at Watkin Dental Associates want to stop oral cancer in its tracks by diagnosing it early, and that’s where oral cancer screenings come in.
- Night Guards for Clenching: Stopping sleep bruxism can be very difficult, but one way to protect your teeth from the damaging effects of grinding and clenching at night is to wear a custom night guard.
Help Us Help You Take Care of Your Teeth!
Our recommendation is to visit Watkin Dental Associates twice a year for regular cleanings and preventive treatments from our dentists. When you do this, we can detect any problems early, when they are much easier (and less costly) to fix.
If you live in Fitchburg, MA and do not have an appointment scheduled, please reach out to us by calling (978) 345-6919 or sending us an email. Here at Watkin Dental Associates, we’re excited to help keep you healthy and happy with our preventive dentistry services! You can learn more about us on our business page, and make sure to check the map before you head our way.